Saturday, May 4, 2013

MissFit May Spotlight: Chely Galván



MissFit May Spotlight  
Age: 23
Sport: CrossFit  

In an attempt to branch out and find more MissFit’s, my friend and fellow Texan, Adam Longoria, told me about a friend of his that is a fierce CrossFit competitor down in San Antonio, Texas.  He mentioned that she had only been competing locally for a short time before she became a serious CrossFit contender in the South Central Region.  She seemed like a perfect MissFit Candidate, and I became more and more curious about her, and needed to speak to her first-handed to learn more about her.



I was finally able to speak to Chely Galvan over the phone to talk about her life as a CrossFit competitor.

What is your athletic background?

Chely: I played many sports growing up; basketball, volleyball, track, but mainly soccer.  I thought my competitive sports career ended after high school.  I wanted to stay active so I started running half-marathons and marathons.  I ran four marathons to be exact.  I liked the time to myself during the runs.  I was getting bored though.

How did you find CrossFit?  What drew you to the sport of CrossFit?

Chely:  I was introduced to CrossFit in March of 2010.  My cousin’s boyfried told me about a new workout he was doing called CrossFit.  He talked me into giving it a try.  I was instantly hooked, and wanted more.  The funny thing is that “death by” burpees was my very first WOD.  I loved CrossFit.  I don’t know what I’d be doing right now with my training if I didn’t find it.  Not only do I do CrossFit, but I have become a CrossFit coach at CrossFit Mettle.  I love the CrossFit culture and community.

                                            

Do you compete?

Chely:  Yes.  My first competition was called Oktoberfest Obliteration down in Houston in 2010, where I met Adam.  I actually went to be a spectator, but at the last minute a spot opened up and I filled it on a whim.  To my surprise, I came in 6th!  I competed in 2011 in the Hammer and Chisel competition and finished in 2nd.  I have also competed in the South Central Regionals of the CrossFit Games in 2011, 2012, and if I do well enough this year will make my 3rd appearance at regionals.  


 
What motivates you? 

Chely:  I have always been very active, and before CrossFit I was self-motivated.  I think now it’s just a little different especially since I have started competing.  Now, I feel like if I don’t put myself out there and give 100% of myself I will let people down.  I know that people look up to me and I want to be an example of what’s possible with hard work.  Personally, I don’t feel like I’m the best but I have made it this far and I will continue to work to be the best I can be.  I guess you could say other people motivate me.

What advice can you give to young women out there that might be hesitant about trying something new?

Chely:  Whatever it is you want to do, just do it.  It is okay to be nervous, but don’t be scared.  You have to face your fear and just attack it with determination.  Anything is possible.  Also, find someone to look up to and mimic them.  When I first started CrossFit I wanted to be like the CrossFit girls from my area that kicked butt like, Lisa Thiel from CrossFit Central and Lindsey Smith who is currently living in Ohio.  I would imagine myself working as hard as they do during my training to stay motivated and focused.  Also, don’t ever hold back on the goals that you want.

Why are you a MissFit?

Chely: I’m not good with describing myself.  I would say that I commit myself to live with passion every day and I am determined to succeed.

As I spoke with Chely one thing was crystal clear, she is extremely honest and humble in her athletic abilities.  She understands her gifts and isn’t afraid to work hard to reach her goals.  Chely is a prime example of what a MissFit is.  

Side note:  I contacted Chely a few days after the 2013 CrossFit Open closed to find out where she placed in her region.  She finished in 20th, guaranteeing her a spot in the 2013 CrossFit Game South Central Regionals.  Good Luck Chely! 



If you would like to learn more about the CrossFit, you can click on www.crossfit.com and find a local CrossFit gym near you.    

Are you or someone you know a MissFit?  Share your story.  E-mail me at info@themissfitmovement.com.           

No comments:

Post a Comment